United Way of Tucson and Southern Arizona and its partners offer help to file your state and federal tax returns for FREE at sites throughout 10 out of 15 Arizona Counties. VITA saves taxpayers an estimated $250 per return!
Option 1: Find a United Way VITA site near you by clicking HERE. (Please note: The site at Armory Park Senior Center will not be open after 1/31/15. We apologize for the inconvenience)
Option 2: Do it yourself for free using H&R Block and Turbo Tax software HERE
Open Enrollment has ended, but some taxpayers may be able to obtain healthcare coverage from March 15 – April 30, 2015! If you were assessed a penalty at tax time for not having insurance during 2014, felt you did not understand the penalty prior to having your taxes done, and filed your taxes after , you can take advantage of this Special Enrollment Period. The penalty for not having healthcare coverage will increase next tax season, so don’t delay! Qualified healthcare assisters are available to help you with the enrollment process. Make an appointment online at coveraz.org/connector, or leave a message on the Southern Arizona Cares Line at 800.377.3536 and receive a call back within 24 hours.
ACA Navigators are also available for walk-in assistance at three VITA sites:
Abounding Grace Lutheran Church – Wednesdays,
Community Food Bank – Thursdays,
El Pueblo Neighborhood Center – Wednesdays,
Healthcare and Taxes
- At tax time, taxpayers will need to show they have healthcare insurance, such as enrollment in AHCCCS or Medicare, employer-sponsored insurance, or insurance purchased through the Marketplace. If they cannot show coverage and do not qualify for exemptions, they will need to pay an individual shared responsibility payment (also known as the penalty).
- Two types of exemptions will be available – exemptions claimed on the tax return, and exemptions granted through the Marketplace. Taxpayers should visit www.healthcare.gov/taxes to view a full list of exemptions and determine which type they might qualify for.
- Those who need assistance with these new tax requirements, and income-qualify for VITA services, should come to a VITA site for free, quality assistance from IRS-certified tax preparers.
- Picture I.D. for taxpayer and spouse (if applicable)
- ORIGINAL Social Security card for EACH family member*
- Proof of income, including W-2s and 1099 forms
- Documentation of deductible expenses
- Account and routing numbers of checking and/or savings accounts for direct deposit of refunds
- Prior year tax return (if possible)
NEW: Health coverage information for each family member
NEW: If taxpayer/spouse purchased health insurance through the Marketplace, Form 1095-A
NEW: If taxpayer/spouse purchased insurance through the Marketplace, dependents’ proof of income